Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:22:43 EST
In a message dated 12/15/00 5:52:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Ok, I have a client and good friend who is going through some testing to
> determine whether or not her son is autistic.  The MMR vaccine is the most
> likely culprit in this situation, they are preparing to have the gut test

The MMR vaccine does NOT cause autism.  The "science" behind this claim was
shaky.  Large, well controlled studies have disproven this link.  Autism is
likely an inherited disorder and is a biochemical abnormality of the brain.
One study found a significant link between certain brain chemicals found on
neonatal blood samples and the development of autism when the children were
examined several years later.

For accurate information about vaccine risks, see the links on the AAP
website.  (http://www.aap.org).  The CDC website also has good, reliable
information.

As far as breastfeeding is concerned, I would think that breastfeeding the
child as long as the mom and child are happy with it could only be
beneficial.  The cuddling may help offset some of the behavioral problems.

Followup for this child at a well-known autism center would also be useful;
good and intensive therapy is essential.

Linda L. Shaw MD FAAP