From:
nandan fogelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:40:08 +0300
Dear Super Knowledgeable Colleagues,
A woman I am working with would like to dry up her left side and nurse
exclusively from her right.  No matter what we have tried, her left nipple
is always sore and often damaged.  Baby post frenotomy and we worked on
positioning - leaning back helps but not enough, and silicone nipple on the
one side but baby doesn't agree and APNO.  Mother will not try CST for
personal reasons.I know that many women use only one breast for whatever
reason but have not helped a woman through the transition.  Baby is 9 weeks
old and nurses from both sides every approximately every 2 hours and is
growing well.  The mother is ready to nurse constantly if need be on the
right side for the next few days to build it up while pumping the right side
as needed to dry it up.  My questions are, Can we assume that the mother
will be able to fully feed her baby with one breast and How long should it
take for the milk supply in the right side to be built up enough?  I imagine
that these things vary between woman but I would be very happy to hear your
experiences and get some advice.
Thank you all so much,
Chayn Fogelman IBCLC Israel