From:
Brenda Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 00:33:01 EST
In a message dated 03/06/2000 8:30:21 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<<  Dear Friends:  A good friend/client of mine  has just been informed by MY
 dentist (who has 4 bf kids) that her over 10 years of being pregnant and/or
 lactating has destroyed her teeth and gums.
 <snip>   Any  thoughts? >>

My thoughts on this are:  First, ARRGGHHHHHHH!   I can't believe a reputable
Dentist would say such a thing!   What facts/research did he say he is basing
this garbage on???  I personally have been pregnant/nursing for the past 8
years and I am here to tell you that I have perfectly sound teeth and gums...
not a cavity or gum inflammation at all.  I know many and have seen a lot of
patients during/after pregnancy and during lactation that also have perfectly
sound teeth and gums.   I go/have always gone to the dentist regularly (every
6 months) and have worked as an expanded duty chairside/surgical dental
assistant  and lab technician for over 15 years, so I know  a little of what
I speak.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding do not "destroy the teeth".   Hormonal
changes during pregnancy can cause gum inflammation, but that in itself does
not "destroy the teeth"...it is just not as simple as that....I am
disappointed that any dentist would make such a general statement against
pregnancy/breastfeeding.

<<He has informed her that her "excessively
 heavy breasts" are also the cause of her grinding her teeth, backstrain, and
 headaches.>>

Besides many other factors, stress/fatigue/lack of sleep can also cause the
above.....And......since when did Dentists start deciding what is an
"excessively heavy breast", anyway???  What is excessive, anything over a
"nearly A cup" ???  Oh, Puhleeeeze, Louise!!!  I think I'd be looking for a
new dentist pronto.

...Just my thoughts since you asked.   ;-)

~ Brenda Coleman,  LLL
Weatherford, Texas

PS.  Sorry if I sounded hostile....I just read pages 31-32 in the "What to
Expect the Toddler Years" book.... UGH!  Still reeling from that!!!  I am so
upset...I won't get into it now, or I'd be typing ALL night...but needless to
say, I am so very disappointed in their section on "weaning from the breast".
 SO much inaccurate information!!!  The poor new moms that will be reading
that book, and taking it for fact.   Again, sorry for the rant.