From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:29:16 +0300
Lactation counselling, like childbirth education and midwifery,  is a
profession and there are some experts at the top of the field who have not
given birth or breastfed.  Chloe Fisher is an example, a midwife, lactation
counsellor, mentor and teacher.  One of the legendary midwives in Jerusalem,
now retired, was a religious married woman who to her sorrow had never had
children.  She was called the "mother of all babies" in that city
.
When we started our training courses for childbirth educators, doulas and
breastfeeding counsellors, I followed the NCT guidelines of taking only
students who were mothers.  However we found that there were applicants who
were very professional, had wonderful people and listening skills but who
themselves had not given birth or had given birth but not breastfed.
This is not to be compared with some of the competing training courses that
take anyone and do not give consideration to age and maturity.
In general this is a career change not a first job for a college graduate!
On the contrary, we sometimes had to refuse students even though they had a
rich history in childbearing and breastfeeding because they were bringing
with them a lot of emotional baggage and anger.  We would then advise them
to sort out these issues before applying again.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT Trained Tutor Prenatal Teacher/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Israel Childbirth Education Centre