From:
"Debbie Albert, Ph.D., IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:39:38 EDT

Not to add more confusion to this discussion, but we already have  hospital
settings that feel that an RN and CLC is more than enough credential  for a
lactation consultant.  We have a local hospital that will hire  an LPN with no
credential over a non-RN IBCLC!  How will licensing IBCLCs,  particularly if
CLC. CLE, etc. can receive licensing of some sort--- help  non-RN IBCLCs in
hospital settings?  Also, why would anyone pursue an  IBCLC credential if they
could also get licensed as a CLC. CLE, etc.?  If  we are not careful, the IBCLC
could become obsolete.

    And just to add to another conversation.  ILCA  is not IBLCE, but we need
to work together.  It is very important for  all of us to remain active in
our professional organization, and do what we  can to promote our profession
through it.

Debbie  Albert, RN, Ph.D., LMHC, IBCLC, RLC
Tampa Lactation Counseling
Tampa,  FL

In a message dated 6/13/05 12:01:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,