Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:30:55 EST
"For one thing, the evidence that breastfeeding transmits HIV is weak.  For
another, the testing for HIV is varied and unreliable. For another,  there
are a significant number of esteemed and respected scientists doubting  that
HIV causes AIDS....and they have reasons for their beliefs."

I respectfully disagree with all these statements.  The science is  very
clear.  The tests (screening and confirmatory) are not perfect, but  very
close.  I know of no "esteemed and respected scientists" who doubt  that HIV
causes AIDS.  AZT does decrease HIV transmission from mother to  infant during
pregnancy.
That said, I respect a woman's right to an informed decision whether to be
tested and whether to breastfeed with AIDS.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM,  FAAP
Neonatologist
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Rady Children's  Hospital San Diego
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation  Services
San Diego, CA