From:
"Jennifer Tow, MA, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2017 10:22:11 -0400
What is interesting to me is the presumption that the abx or the power pumping are "evidence-based", while the galactagogues are not. Neither abx for sinus infections nor power pumping are evidence-based and I doubt much of anything that happened in her birth (unless it was at home) was evidence-based either. I see so many moms on insane pumping schedules who would be making a lot more milk if IBCLCs simply recommended galactagogues instead of, or in conjunction with, pumping. Clinical evidence is in fact **evidence** and many of us have decades of experience using lactogenic foods and galactagogues with immense success. Even more importantly, shouldn't IBCLCs know at least as much about increasing milk supply as mothers on social media do? This is one reason mothers post comments like "I thought you only checked latch" or far worse about the very limited skill set that IBCLCs are expected to have based on the IBLCE blueprint. My suggestion would be give her the information on the failed use of abx for sinus infections so she can decide if she wants to continue, suggest she consider immune support to help her body recover, recommend a pbx for her ravaged gut (and likely the baby's), review her diet (often abx cause stomach distress, especially w/o pbx, that cause folks to change their eating patterns), be sure to include lactogenic foods in her diet (we need carbs and electrolytes to make milk), and recommend galactagogues such as moringa or shatavari or an herbal combination (my preference).
Rethinking antibiotics for sinusitis—again

Five day vs Ten day (even if there was a reason to give them, is equally effective)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15606217

Jennifer Tow, BFA, MA, IBCLC, RLC, OMT

Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Holistic Lactation Consultant, Holistic Health Coach (focus in nutrition), founder Holistic Lactation Institute