From:
Ellen Mahony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:29:15 -0400
I have a client in the NY area that had a "suspicious mammogram" prior to
pregnancy but didn't follow up as she became pregnant and is in her early
40's. I saw her to induce lactation which had not started for 14 days post
birth. I think mom delayed, said little help in hospital, and was
told "nursing is not for her", supposedly by an LC, which I find hard to
imagine. Anyway, encouraged by her pediatrician, she sought help, and has
been pumping every 3 hours, taking fenugreek and chaste tree( couln't find
blessed thistle and health food store recommended the vitex).  I had
recommended domperidone, but mom has not pursued this avenue. I advised
her to have her ob check her breasts and ob sent her to a breast surgeon
who has recommended weaning so they can do a mammogram on "dry breasts",
and told mom her nipples are not good for nursing. Mom has been hesitant
to try baby on breast, tried once, and said couldn't do it, but wants to
pump, now up to about 1 ounce per breast. Any advice on this puzzling
case. I thought of recommending another consult. Does anyone know of a
good breastfeeding friendly surgeon in the lower NY/NYC area? Cathy Gemma,
if you read this, I believe there is a doctor in Brooklyn, do you know if
he is still practicing?
I am not sure how motivated the mother is at this point, she has been
getting advice from lots of well meaning friends and has not taken all my
suggestions. Any thoughts or advice on this puzzling case is appreciated.
You may e-mail me privately or post to the list.

Ellen Mahony, IBCLC, RN, MS
Greenwood Lake, NY
loving the warm weather, but not enough time off to enjoy it, just getting
the fans and air conditioners going, but not all in place yet!