From:
Janet Tolley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:47:52 -0600
I receive a call from a mom who has been breastfeeding for 4 weeks.  Baby is still vomiting large amounts of milk.  In 4 weeks her child has gained 3 pounds,  she was seen in our Lactation clinic last week for reflux.  The lactation nurse and speech therapist found that in a few mins that the baby was having trouble dealing with the fast and abundant flow of milk.
They went over normal over active letdown treatments and how to position baby.  They also received an order from the physician for a test to see if a prolactinoma may be present.  ( We won't know until Friday( 2-9) the results.)
Mom can pump 8 oz in 5 min.  She is of course only nursing on one breast at a time.  The question -  Is there anything else we could do to assist her?
To decrease the amount of milk she is making someone mentioned that full strength birth control pills might help.( Her doctor).  Other thoughts were just to pump and put it in a bottle so the baby would quit vomiting. ( Her mother).
Thanks for any suggestions.
I went over the Laleche information on over active letdown with her also.
Janet Tolley RNC, BSN, IBCLC
Lactation Program Facilitator
St. John's Hospital
Mother and Baby Friendly