Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:40:15 EDT
Hi folks, I know this is in the archives but haven't been able to figure out
a search that gets me the right info without matching 100s of wrong info.

A mom of my aquaintance needs to be separated from her 3 month old baby for
about 24 hours, a few weeks from now, somewhat unexpectedly.   Baby is
totally bf so far, but has had a few very occasional bottles of mom's
expressed milk, so while they doubt she'll be thrilled they are confident she
won't starve either.   Mom has some supply in the freezer and is furiously
pumping away now to have enough for this separation.

The question is, how much is enough?  Roughly, obviously.   I remember a
rule-of-thumb calculation for quantity of milk per kilo of weight, but can't
find it in the archives or in any of my books.   Those occasional bottles
haven't given a good indicator, because they were never separated for more
than a couple of hours, and other than those of course it's been all
uncalibrated bf.

She'd like to leave enough in the freezer to err on the side of not running
out, but she has no idea how much that is and I don't know what to tell her.
Help, please!

Thanks!

Elisheva