From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:25:19 -0800
I'd like your thoughts on this before I write a letter.  I was at the
San Francisco Zoo last Sunday and saw the usual masses with bottles,
and the 6 week old baby with the bottle propped in the stroller,
crying.  :-(  All that made me sad, but one was even more frustrating.
 I was just leaving the bathroom, which was really cold, pretty
smelly, not very clean, ugly, and a woman walked in holding a sweet
little pink snowsuited 3 month old or so.  Mom looked disgusted, and I
thought she was wondering how to use the bathroom and hold the baby,
so I offered to hold her.  Mom said, Thanks, but I'm looking for a
place to feed her.  She proceeded to feed her in a stall, squatting on
the floor!  I told her that she is entitled to nurse in public, is a
mammal, and didn't have to hide, but it was really hard to
communticate through the closed door.   I saw some other mothers
nursing in a carousel shelter, and I of course, nursed who knows
where?

My thoughts are- what impact do you think it would have on people if
we could somehow get the Zoo to post a blanket endorsement of
breastfeeding?  Maybe with their maps, maybe a discussion in various
mammal houses.  Maybe just a few well placed "breastfeeding Welcome
Here" stickers like Motherwear puts out.  (I"ve had thoughts of just
getting a hundred and placing them myself.  :-)  )  I know these kind
of places have their bureacracies to wade through to get anything
done, so tips in conquering that might help.  Please, thoughts?
Please email me and the list.

mailto:[log in to unmask]

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (1.5)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
* If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/