From:
PATRICA A Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:38:20 -0400
I need input from my expert "on-line" friends.

Just had a call from a mom I have been phone counseling for several
weeks.  She has been on several meds for her condition and we've check
them in Dr. Hale.  She started Imuran--100 mg in the AM--at the beginning
of the week.  It is an immunosuppressive that Hale reports no pediatric
concerns, but caution is urged.  Her daughter will be 6 weeks tomorrow
4/25 and since about Wednesday has been very sleepy, more so than usual
according to mom.  She slept 6 1/2 hr two nights in a row and mom thinks
she only woke because mom and dad were up and moving around.  Last night
mom woke baby after 8 hours sleeping.  Mom reports that baby is not
eating as aggressively as before, is sleepy even during the day.  Today
she "threw up" a LOT according to mom and it was yellow.  She threw up a
second time and parents called pedi, who recommended feeding Pedialyte.
Then mom called me.  Baby shows no other signs of illness.  Mom has also
been on Asacol--1200 mg/3 times/day, which AAP says "should be given to
nursing mothers with caution".  But the Imuran is what was started
recently and the sleepiness followed.  Is this a true cause and effect?
What else could be going on?  I told mom I could ask all my friends for
help and she was very agreeable.

Warmly,
Pat Bucknell IBCLC, RLC
Avon Lake OH