From:
Gena Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:18:46 -0500
Hi Lisa.  I am a breastfeeding peer counselor for WIC in SC.  I am learning so much through this job (and Lactnet!) and would recommend this type of program to anyone.   I just started in October, but I can already see a difference in the number of women I see and talk to...the interest in breastfeeding is growing and I am starting a support class next month.  WIC encourages peer counselors because they know that they are effective (which, in turn, saves WIC money on formula.)  It's also a great opportunity for the counselor to see new problems and find new solutions.  Not to mention how changing someone's mind about breastfeeding can really make it all worthwhile.  :)

Email me off list if I can be of any help to you.

Gena Henderson
WIC breastfeeding peer counselor
South Carolina DHEC