From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:45:23 -0400
>It is discouraging to know that mothers who really want to
>breastfeed are still getting unhelpful medical advice. Some of their stories
>are also amazing testimonies as to the effectiveness of formula marketing
>tactics - a mother describes how she was worrying about her baby getting
>enough when she happened to get some coupons for free formula in the mail.

I agree. I believe that most (well more than 50%) of women want to
breastfeed. It is almost always bad medical advice, in my experience, that
deters them. In March of '00 I helped (or tried to) a woman who had
delivered her second child via c-sec and was having supply issues 4 days pp.
The hospital had provided her with a pump but people kept walking in when
she would get up the nerve to "get on" it. They also supplied her with tiny,
calibrated bottles of RTF En---- which, since the baby "chugged" it and fell
into blissful sleep, she assumed she needed it. This was a woman who bf her
first child for 4 years. The little bits of milk she was expressing kept
"disappearing" (where were they taking it?) and the baby ended up 75% ABM
fed. Thw nurse I talked to there had never heard of cup feeding.
I talked to her a few months ago and she expressed serious guilt about not
being able to afford "that elemental formula that is supposed to be REALLY
close to breast milk" in retrospect. I was stunned at her misplaced anger.

I got a call from a childhood friend who never bf her first child, and has
since had breast implants. She is pg again and wants to "try breastfeeding
this time around" - I first praised her then said, "most importantly - do
NOT go to your doctor with breastfeeding questions! They do not learn that
in med school. They only know what the ABM companies give them. Call someone
with these intials: I-B-C-L-C or L-L-L" .
I think an experienced mother with a copy of the Breastfeeding Answer Book
on the kitchen table is generally a much better source of breastfeeding
advice than most physicians.

Michelle DePesa

p.s. on epinions, in the formula section, there is an opinion called "Make
Your Own and Save Money" - urging women to breastfeed - did you see it
there?

p.p.s. I just got a mailing from Si---- about options for home delivery
which has within it this bit of info: "You can trust Si---- with Iron
because it has been clinically shown to support visual and mental
development similar to the way breast milk does" (no reference given)