From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:45:27 -0500
Tammie's post brought several questions to mind.  First, hi Tammie.  I live
in the Hoosier state, also and know that the WIC program is making inroads
in promoting breastfeeding.  Thanks for being part of that effort.  To
answer your question about the hypothyroidism and an effect on
breastfeeding...yes, it does have an effect if it is not being treated, but
if this mother is aware of the condition, does that mean she is taking
medication for it, because that would help?

I was unclear about the next part.  It sounded like the mom weaned because
of an insufficient milk supply (why not just supplement?) but then you said,

I told her to nurse to relieve any discomfort.
So then, I wonder why did she *have* to wean at all if she was uncomfortably
full while doing it?  Did you explain that when baby seems hungry, you feed
more often (as per their *request*) and the supply will increase (assuming
mom is on Thyroid med).  May just be a supply and demand issue.  Of course,
it is typical for babies appear satisfied after getting a bottle.  It fills
their belly with something that is harder and takes longer to digest.  So,
this is not necessarily better for baby.  Looks are deceiving here.  The
issue of lack of a feeling of the milk letting down.  First time moms often
don't feel it for several weeks.  How long did this mom nurse?
You also said,
she was more thirsty and she got sleepy when she was nursing the baby.
You have just mentioned the very 2 things I often tell moms they may notice
when they nurse that are a direct result of the baby suckling ,along with
the *afterpains*.  Sounds like all the things were happening that were
supposed to!  The only thing I see that I would question is the thyroid
condition.  Was she being treated for it?  If so, she should have been able
to bring in a full supply (someone tell me if I'm wrong).  If not, then she
probably wasn't making enough milk but there were other ways of dealing with
that situation (like a nursing supplementer) that would not have required
giving up on breastfeeding completely.  Hope this helps
Marsha, who's glad it's Friday!