From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:15:29 -0400
Kathy D wrote"

"Feed the mother for all sorts of reasons -- whether it increases
her milk production or not, whether it changes the composition of her milk
or not, whether it results in better growth and health in her children or
not.  The "haves" of the world are morally obligated (IMNSHO) to feed the
severely malnourished -- even if ALL it means is that the mother feels
better, can work harder, doesn't get as sick as often, feeds her baby more
often, or whatever."

Kathy, well said. The only thing I would elaborate on is the long-term
public health work that needs to go with this, to enable the mother to
ultimately feed herself; AND please don't automatically blame it on the
breastfeeding because the child/infant is maulnourished!

I live in a community with lots of "haves" and "have nots" and often have
the opportunity to see just of how self-centered the "haves can be" some
days I get angry but other days it just frightens me!

Kind Regards

Mandy O'Reilly

IBCLC
nurse midwife