From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:09:31 -0600
Since we have gone to double checking the label on the breast milk, we have
had zero incidents of the wrong milk given to a baby.  Prior to instituting
this policy, we had three incidents in a year.
Our procedure is simple,  When milk is taken from the fridge or freezer, on
the way to the baby's bedside, the nurse stops and shows the bottle to
another nurse saying, "This milk is for baby X."  If she says, "Yup, it is,"
after reading the label the milk is given..  When charting it there is a
little box to check right next to the amount given that it was checked by
two nurses.  Two do not have to sign,--- the nurse giving it only has to
verify that she had another nurse check  the ID by checking the box.  It
really doesn't take any longer than NOT verifying the ID, and it has
prevented a lot of unnecessary lab work being done, and angry moms.  It also
made our neonatologists breathe a sigh of relief when we quit having mixups.
Deanne