From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:30:17 -0400
"Mothers who want information can get it -- that pamphlet is not going to
be the sole lifeline to successful breastfeeding."

This is so true!  In fact, in investigating how much material our moms were
getting, a Public Health Nurse came in with a suitcase to a meeting!  There
were too many brochures, too much information, and it would have been
difficult for any mom to identify which information was the "well
researched" and which was based on promoting a particular product.

This is again a good reason to establish a reputation that will allow
mothers to feel confident that information from THIS source is correct, and
not "beholden to" any particular product.   I hope we can create this from
having, in our county, knowledgeable IBCLCs who are available for all moms.

The majority of women learn from sources other than brochures in formula
packets.  Right now in California they are distributing a series of 5
videotapes (on infant nutrition, care, safety, education, etc.) because
they found that this was the most effective educational tool.
Unfortunately the video that covers breastfeeding was not  sent for review
by the California Breastfeeding Promotion Committee until after it was "in
the can" - still, they have been working on making some adjustments and
hopefully in the next year they will be able to complete changes and it
will be the type of educational tape we will all be happy with!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA