From:
Patrick Worley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:08:45 +0000
I attended a session at the 1995 LLL International conference which I
believe talked about this topic. It was titled "Growth of Breastfed
babies" given by Judith B. Roepke. She cited the DARLING studies and her
own studies. I couldn't find my notes but I'm sure she is published.
I also have a question about the definition of failure to thrive. This
is not the first time I have heard this diagnosis based of one
measurement of the babies growth (weight). My own son could have been
diagnosed as this when he didn't gain weight from 4-6 months. My doctor
seemed to weigh other aspects of his growth and didn't panic, thankfully
(he is still not big for his age at 10 years but he eats more than his
dad). Quick diagnosis seems to lead to parental guilt, unnecessary
medical tests and possible unwanted intervention.

Cathy Cary, LLLL
Oak Ridge, TN