From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:55:59 -0500
Thank you, Rachel, for the international perspective.

Spitting up is not a major issue with GER, even though some babies with GER
do spit up, or attempt to, in their struggle to ease their pain. Actually
they do a lot of swallowing to prevent the stomach contents from entering
the esophagus. The symptom that sets GER apart is the severe pain.  These
babies are in agony for a long time after eating, so much so that some of
them decide that they will no longer eat since that is the "cause" of their
pain that grows in intensity.

Of course, there are Peds here who diagnose GER for any spitting up ("wet
burps" they call it.) but there are a lot of ailing babies whose lives are
miserable without the drugs that are used.

The babies that I see suffering are all breastfed and most exclusively
except, of course, for the meds.  Here, Zantac is the drug of choice. It
tastes foul and babies scream when it is administered--usually twice a
day--and they often vomit much of it up. Mothers weep as they force their
little ones to take the stuff.

I'm hoping to hear from other countries on this issue.  I know that I am
picking a non-responsive period with the conference coming up and I may
reintroduce the question at a later time.  Meanwhile, those of you who are
available, keep the ideas and experiences coming.

Thank you,

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconcin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]