From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:22:07 +0000
Linda

Hmmm, this is a very nice thought, but the mother needs to be warned of the
small, but nevertheless real risk to herself and to her existing baby, and
to her partner too, of child to adult transmission through breastfeeding a
possibly HIV-infected baby. The fact that the baby currently has AIDS
antibodies simply means that the baby has been exposed to HIV, not that he
is actually infected.  Maternal antibodies will persist in all exposed
babies for up to 12 - 15 months after birth and they will test positive on
an antibody (ELISA) test.  So an early positive ELISA is not a reliable
test of infection of a young baby though a positive test after this time
(showing that the baby is starting to produce his own antibodies to an
existing infection) is still recognized as the definitive diagnosis.  You
don't mention how old the baby is, but an HIV PCR test in a non-breastfed
baby older than 6-8 weeks should be able to distinguish whether the baby is
infected or not.  However, once again, because of the window period, a
negative result during this time would not rule out HIV-infection, and a
first negative test should be repeated at least a month later, and maybe
even as long as 4 months after birth in the US before this mother is given
the all-clear.  She should take medical advice.

I agree with what others have said.  If the client wants to breastfeed,
better to wait until the baby is over 8 weeks and receives 2 separate
negative PCR test results before going ahead.  In the meantime, the baby
would definitely benefit from breast milk - delivered other than at the breast.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
WABA HIV and Infant Feeding Task Force Co-coordinator