From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 19:50:03 -0500
It is getting dark outside which means I have spent far too much time at the
computer today.

Yes, yes, yes Jan Barger, I heard (or read) your mail.  I have always told my
children "do as I say, not as I do".  This sterilization issue is another one
I have difficulty with.  If a mother picks up pacifiers, nipples, bottles,
etc. off the shelf at the store, does she have to sterilize them?? are they
pre-sterilized??  I do understand companies  have to cover themselves,
unfortunately due to this suite crazy society.  That is why M_______ has
recommendations for Cleaning and Sterilization.  If you look carefully
though, the recent instructions and videos state "follow these instructions
in the hospital or at home UNLESS you are OTHERWISE instructed by your
physician or another medical professional".  Therefore, if you want to
recommed something else, you can.  As Jan Barger mentioned, we have studied
breastmilk and the immunological properties do protect the milk!!!  I
strongly agree with Diane that before opening a pump kit, have mom wash her
hands or at least you wash your hands.  If the kit is sterile that doesn't
mean you can't handle it.  Sterilizing it means that it has killed all the
bugs that might have come from the packaging person or anyone else that might
have touched it while packaging it.  I remember Terry Asquith, milk bank
director from San Jose, CA telling me "Pat, you open a kit in the hospital,
you know how many bugs, bacteria, etc. from the air get on that kit".  It has
always stuck with me.  We get so crazy over things instead of focusing on
what is really important- a healthy baby receiving breastmilk.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC/The Breastfeeding Connection
Naperville, IL