From:
Dawn Lanser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 01:25:47 EDT
I have a problem with a mom that has given me permission to address all of
you smart people.  I have a prime mom and an 11 day old baby.  I was called
in today.  She has been working with the hospital and her dr.  Since she
still cannot get the baby to the breast and does not pump more than 1/2
ounce, she called me.  Baby was 2 weeks early.  Uneventful labor.  Mom had
epidural for approximately 5 hours and a little nubain.  Baby would not latch
on.  Hospital gave her pump and began to cup feed.  Five days ago, her dr.
started her on Reglan 10 mg qid.  Baby is also getting a bottle now.  She is
now sore and small amounts of blood.  Using lanolin.  I have not seen her and
have only done a phone consultation.  She was unavailable today.  I suggested
going to bed with baby with skin to skin contact.  Offering her breast often.
 Pump if baby not taking breast.  Suggested possible use of SNS.  She hopes
the Reglan will kick in.  On day 3 she did have a fullness in her breast, but
never able to latch baby on or pump very much.  I suggested she might start
taking herbs also.  This mom is at the end of her rope.  I really can't blame
her.  It is after midnight after a double header at the baseball field.
Please excuse me if I leave something out.  I would appreciate any assistance
at all.  I know I need to get the baby to breast, but what about her lacking
supply.   Mom stated she has no health problems and is not taking any
medications.  That is all the information I have.  Thanks for listening.

Warmly, Dawn Lanser, RN, BSN, LCCE, IBCLC
South Bend, IN