From:
Liz Flight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 01:01:30 -0500

>From:    Randy Halpern <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Thumbsucking and security objects.

I didn't think I'd be responding to this "thread", however, your description
of your son only sucking his thumb while rubbing your chest sparked a memory
for me.  My last two breastfed babies had a habit of holding my cheek or my
neck while nursing.  The face holder never sucked a thumb or anything but
persisted with the face holding for a couple of years beyond when she weaned.
 The neck holder (who is 8 years old now) STILL holds my neck and sucks his
bottom lip when he sits beside me or when he seems stressed... (He began
sucking his bottom lip after he had a fall that left scar tissue in his lower
lip-- also never a thumb sucker).