From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:02:19 EST

<< I have lately encountred the well known opinion that "after 6 months there
 is really nothing important in breastmilk" - said by pediatricians to
 mothers...

The "official" party-line is that "most" of the benefits of breast milk have
been obtained by the infant by 3 months of age.  However, I think that the
benefits of breastfeeding (note the difference in terminology please) can
extend way past that "deadline."  When my moms ask me how long they should
breastfeed, I explain to them that the average age of weaning can be 2 1/2
years!  Of course, many times their jaw hits the floor with that answer.  Oh
well!  I encourage them to breastfeed as long as possible and I tell them that
my personal "cut-off" for breastfeeding is when the kid is old enough to run
down to the end of the grocery store isle, turn around and scream back at mom
that "I want my ......."  Then it is time to consider weaning, eh?  <g>
Andrew MD