From:
Anna Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:06:36 -0400
6/15/96
Dear All LactNetters,
I will be leaving later this week for two weeks vacation with my 11 yr old
son and his best friend, also an 11 yr old boy.  We will be visting hot and
muggy South Carolina but plan to relax and fish every day possible in my
father's fresh water ponds, visit local swamp wildlife preserves, eat lots of
corn on the cob, watermelon, fresh tomatoes off the vine, sleep in late if we
wish, and generally relax and have fun.  Can hardly wait.  I will be going NO
MAIL today in preparation for this trip.

Before I leave, I wanted to thank those of you who wrote re my suggestions
about oversupply.  I will e-mail you directly ASAP.  Those of you who wrote
about oversupply to all LactNetters, thanks for your input also.  This is a
special area of interest to me.

As one of you suggested, it is also possible that the mother compensates for
a poorly fixed (latched) baby by producing large quanties of foremilk.
 Woolridge (Chloe Fisher's colleague) suggests this possibility in a chapter
of BREASTFEEDING: BIOCULTURAL PERSPECTIVE by Patricia Stuart-Macadam and
Katherine A. Dettwyler (Where are you Kathy?  Haven't seen your name lately
on LactNet.)  The theory proposed is intriguing and may very well be a
portion of the answer.  What is intriguing is that the overwhelming majority
of the 140 mother-baby dyads that I am writing a description of needed
corrections/adjustments in positioning/latching techniques.  However, even
with correct positioning and latch-on, I have observed babies back of the
areoal at MER to feed on the nipple (this too was a common observation).

There are many pieces to the puzzle of oversupply and I would LOVE to hear
all input on this.  Therefore, please cc any posts to LactNet to my personal
e-mail address listed below.  Much thanks.

Anna Utter