From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:49:24 -0800
Julie Rosen wrote: "I am planning a breastfeeding support group meeting
especially for Jewish religious women [who never seem to come to regular
LLL meetings around here] :and want to cater it to issues of particular
importance to them.  I figured I'd be discussing modesty and birth control.
 Any other ideas on how to approach this population; what to cover?"

I'd suggest asking the women themselves. See if you can talk with cultural
"insiders" to find out what they think are important issues and then also
ask them to help you put together a focus group of breastfeeding mothers so
that you can ask the mothers your questions--and meet them--yourself. Every
community has its own issues which may be similar to or different from (or
a little bit of both) the issues of another community--even if the compared
communities are superficially the same cultural group or subgroup. You can
call up one or more synagogues or community centers explaining what you are
trying to do. You can also ask for help getting meeting space (for the
focus group as well as breastfeeding support group) at a location that is
centrally located for the women you wish to serve and on their cultural
territory.

My article, "The cultural art of breastfeeding," might be of help. It's on
the publications page of my website.

If you'd like me to send you the bibliography for the conference session
that I do on culture and breastfeeding, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS, IBCLC
Ammawell