From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 17:11:21 -0400
Dear Kathleen:  Here's what I learned at the HIV conference. 60-70% of
infected people seroconvert within 3 months, 90% by 6 months.  The CDC
recommends continued testing to a year because of the remaining few that
may still seroconvert.  If your mom was negative 9 months after her last
contact, her chances are very slim but not zero.  We have to keep in mind
that this guy's status wasn't even known, so that decreases her chances
even more.  Statistically, it seems virtually no risk, but it's a
different situation when it's your own baby.  So, if she's presented with
these data and decides that even this tiny risk is too great, one option
might be to get HIV-DNA testing on herself while she pumps and
temporarily supplements (with non-bottle method, of course).  If this
test was negative, she could be sure that she had not been infected,
since this test should be positive within 3 months of infection.  She
could then put the baby to breast.  The test takes about 10-14 days.