From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:53:02 -0600

>In Finland all the babies (except the ones who get very much ABM) need
>vitamin D supplements because of our northern location. Most of us don't see
>it a big issue because we know why the babies need it. Here in Finland we
>have a vit D only supplement and most of the babies get it. There are some
>cases of rickets every year and they are usually the ones who did not get
>their vitamin drops.
>
>(The latest research has even shown that here the summertime vit D stores
>are not enough for (even the majority of) adolescents and adults either for
>the long winter so the recommendations here are perhaps changing toward that
>all population should get vit D from October to spring. I was just at a
>Nursing Conference and heard a lecture about osteoporosis prevention.)
Thank you Pia, for your enlightenment. And, as you know Finland lies above
the 60th degree North parallel so the angle of sun rays is very low. So vit
supplementaion is appropriate for your country.

This is the point of the discussion. Where vit D is needed, give it--just
as vit D. Where it is not, don't give it. Sounds simple doesn't it.  And
with education those mothers living in temperate zones can be sure that
they and their babies (and children) get sunlight in the morning and
afternoon.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is located in the 43rd degree North parallel
(Maybe we can begin putting that in our signature.)
Mailto:[log in to unmask]