From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:13:20 -0400
Kathy Koch has sent two messages on behalf of us listmothers to request that
the discussion about a recent development in the US presidential election
campaign be held within the Lactnet guidelines.
Please do avail yourselves of the chance to run a post by us listmothers, by
sending it to [log in to unmask] rather than to the list.
Here are some hints about where it is appropriate to make one's opinion known:
Lactnet, if it is a general opinion on matters of principle, such as the
right to maternity leave and the right to a paid break in a safe,
comfortable place to express milk during work hours if the maternity leave
doesn't last as long as the breastfeeding.
Lactnet, if it is to make known a candidate's *stated position* or voting
record on the abovementioned issues
NOT Lactnet if it is to discuss the relative merits of a specific
candidate's presumed choices on said issues, based on PR about the
candidate's own life
NOT Lactnet, but by ballot where you live, if it is a specific opinion on
the policies of a particular candidate running for elected office and you
can vote

Rachel Myr
US ex-pat, living in a country where we have had various cabinet ministers
take maternity leave and come back still breastfeeding for a couple of
decades now, and it works fine - no one is so indispensible that their
deputy can't do the job if they are indisposed - so I am with Magda on this
one, patiently waiting for my own country to get on board with the rest of
the developed world and enact a law guaranteeing every mother the right to
paid maternity leave that lasts at least until her afterpains have subsided :P