From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 12:40:34 -0700
>In the current issue of Vegetarian Times (May 1996) p. 30-31, someone writes
>in to ask "what is the best alternative for a mother who can't nurse her
>baby?"

Your response is peculiar in the extreme:

>"But while it is the rare mother - and the even rarer baby - who is
>physically incapable of nursing,  there are many new moms who find it well-nigh
>impossible.

As a lactation consultant, I wonder how you got this bit of misinformation.
I have yet to have a patient work with me and find breastfeeding
impossible.  Clearly you meant to say, "many new moms find it nearly
impossible WITHOUT SUPPORT, EDUCATION, AND GOOD MANAGEMENT, all of which
can be provided by lactation consultants."

"many others do not have the on-the-job flexibility that the
>pumping and storing of breast milk requires."

This is an artificial constraint, not a physical barrier.  In the beginning
of the Industrial Revolution there were all type of unreasonable
constraints on workers, and none on employers.  Rather than simply accept
any working conditions imposed on them, workers and society strove to
improve them.

> "all infant formulas on the market...are sufficient to meet your
>baby's needs..."

Actually, this is untrue.  Think back for a minute about the different
"formulas" that have existed in the last three decades: everyone will agree
that today's formulas supply more of baby's needs than yesterday's and do
less damage.  Similarly, tomorrow's will supply more of baby's needs than
today's, and do less damage.  But it will not ever be possible nor
profitable to "humanize" formula to supply all of baby's needs.  Remember
that breastmilk changes constantly to defend the baby against different
germs that enter the environment and to satisfy a baby's changing
nutritional needs.  Formula is simply cow's milk (or soybean juice) which
has been modified enough to make it acceptable.  It is true that formula is
second best to breastmilk, just as eating a large hamburger, fries, and
shake is second best to eating an organic, vegetarian meal prepared with
several different types of vegetables and low in fat.  Both meals will
provide nutrients and cause a child to grow, but there are distinct
qualitative differences.

It is a very odd position for your magazine to take, that an artificial,
highly-processed animal product is preferable to a natural, unprocessed
human product for human babies.  Your article is a strong endorsement of
formula.  You damn breastmilk with the faintest of praise, while trying to
prove breastfeeding an endeavor with little chance of success, and no
reason to try.  Shame on you.

Arly Helm, MS Nutrition and Food Sciences
Internationally Board-Certified Lactation Consultant

Arly Helm                                       [log in to unmask]