From:
MS CATHY LILES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 23:50:42 EDT
     To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: solids

Dear Lactnetters,
I have been following the discussion about solids with interest. I
would like to add a couple of thoughts
from my personal experience.  First, there seems to be three main
reasons for starting solids, addition of
nutrients (such as iron), addition of calories, and socialization (
introduction to the joys of eating).
Research has shown that many babies need some nutrient supplements
after 6 months, breast milk is
complete for virtually all healthy full term babies of well nourished
mothers for at least six months but premies and babies with health
problems need to be evaluated on the basis of their health status.
Additional calories may also be needed in the second half of the
first year.  Socialization, tasting and sharing the pleasures of meal
time can happen anytime. I have worked with many mothers who delayed
solids or whose babies were disinterested. I have come to view
exclusive breastfeeding after six months a red flag that needs some
follow-up. One might check hemoglobin/hematocrit to assess iron
status, watch developmental milestones closely, check for growth and
watch for illness. I suggest a monthly weight check for older
exclusively breastfed babies- if they are gaining well, continuing to
grow and are happy GREAT.  If the baby is losing weight, decreases
more than 2 standard deviations on the growth charts, or fails to
gain any weight for 2 months, it seems prudent to encourage adding
solids and evaluating more closely.  Disinterest in solids or
inability to chew well may be one of the first signs of a
developmental delay.  One baby we worked with had an undiagnosed
cardiac problem-he was a slow gainer, but couldn't handle chewing,
swallowing and breathing. Alleric babies may wisely avoid solids.
Some babies really do need extra calories during their first year
while others thrive on breastmilk for many months past a year.

I'm surprised you haven't heard this story before, but..My third baby
was tiny. I had decided that if exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months
was good -a year was better. When he was five months old he decided
it was time to start solids.  This didn't mesh with my plans nor my
interest in providing regular meals of mush.  He fussed at mealtimes,
grabbed everything edible in sight and at a party crawled all the way
across a big rug to secure a croissant- he was not to be denied.  All
of us breastfeeding enthusiasts had a good laugh, I had to feed him
solids regularly whether I wanted to or not and I was once more
reminded that babies will undoubtedly let us know when they are ready
for solids if we are willing to listen.

Apple Juice-
I wanted to add my $.02 on this topic.  I think we need to take a
step back and look at this issue. Apple juice in moderate quantities,
especially if given in a cup is probably not "bad" for a baby who has
started on other foods.  It is certainly better than coke, koolade,
gatorade or beer which is also spotted in baby bottles. Large
quantities or regular use of articial nipples for feeding are more
worrisome. It is not the product itself which is the problem, but the
way in which it is promoted and used. It worries me to think about
being associated with an anti-applejuice movement.

Cathy Liles