From:
Karen Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:02:27 +0000
Pamela,

*Of course* it can be done.  I once had the privilege of working with a
mom who pumped for 5 months while her baby was in the NICU and another 2
or 3 months after the baby came home, until she was nursing well and
eating table foods.  This particular woman had not even intended to
breastfeed.  Baby was born at 6 mos. and weighed 560 grams (dropped to
392 grams at one point). The nurses at the hospital explained to her
that her baby probably wouldn't survive without breastmilk! (Thank you
Hershey!!)  She originally contacted me for suggestions about what she
could do with all the *extra* milk she had, since baby's intake was in
cc's.  Not positive, but I don't think this baby ever had anything but
EBM (with some additives from time to time).  Even after she started
solids her Dad would put breastmilk in her cereal.

BTW, I ran in to them at the local shopping mall a while ago -- she's
one of the most adorable, lively, little 2 & 1/2 year olds I've ever
seen!:-)

Karen Nelson, IBCLC
Central PA