From:
Anne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:36:45 -0500
Hi Andrea,
Have you ruled out hyperlactation?  Perhaps leaning mom backward in a reclining position can put him in a more comfortable "power position" on top of her.  If mom is only pumping and bottle feeding after breastfeeding 3 kids for 2 years each, I'm guessing she is making a ton of low-fat milk.  Gagging at the breast is a clue.  How is his weight gain now?  At 12 weeks, this may be more difficult, but not impossible to resolve.
Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC
Greenwich CT