From:
Gail Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 00:56:37 -0400
One of the formula prescription responses stuck with me all weekend. It was the one that mentioned Breastfeeding unfriendly doctors. The first thing I want to say is that doctors are certainly getting better at Breastfeeding management from what I've seen. It used to be that nobody knew what to do( on the doctors list serve I belong to) and now they know to have mom nurse through a mastitis and where to look up medications for Breastfeeding moms. Progress has been made over all.

To give you some idea what it is like for a doctor to give advice to have a baby exclusively bf without supplementing with formula, compare it to taking a trip. You've gone the old way so many times. You are used to it. You know the landmarks. The trip has gone safely( by current standards). You know how long it will take. Now there is talk of going a NEW way. Through a bunch of neighborhoods that you haven't been to before. With different landmarks. And there's hazards. Like hypoglycemia. And jaundice. And slow weight gain. And you've got to get the baby safely to the destination. Well, why should a doctor take the baby on the new route, when the old route got the babies safely to the destination before?

Ok, we know that the old way wasn't so safe, but is is familiar. It gives doctors something to tell moms to do when they say " My baby doesn't seem satisfied" . It IS a lot quicker to tell mom to top the baby off with formula, especially if that was what you were taught to tell them because you can just do that over the phone and everyone is happy-for now. If they don't know how breasts really work, they won't know that putting the baby back to the breast(the 3rd breast I call it) will help with supply. And they don't know how supplementing with formula instead of expressed breastmilk can hurt supply. Getting a weight on a baby and knowing what to do with 6.3% down depending on what gestation and how many hours old the baby is  can be the difference between being in familiar territory or feeling like you're lost.

I'm not making excuses for these docs, I'm trying to let you know WHY they are taking the old familiar route. It is a lot less scary. And the formula reps endorse it. And the moms want to feel like they are doing the right thing for their baby. If they knew what to expect they wouldn't put so much pressure on the docs, and if the docs knew what to expect they could tell the moms and know when it is appropriate to supplement and maybe feel a bit more comfortable taking the new route.

Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC, FABM
Author of The Little Green Book of Breastfeeding Management