Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:13:01 -0400
We use the baby's Patient ID labels (PID) and we, or she, can get them from the NICU. Ideally, we provide some when we provide the kit and supplies and teach her how to pump. She can get more 2oz bottles, caps and PID labels any time she needs them from the NICU. We also ask her to write the date and time on each label so we can use them in the same order she pumped. Most NICU RNs, however, just go by date and ignore the time. The nurses must do a double-check to verify the identification of the milk and the intended baby, before feeding it to baby, so mother's PID labels will not serve that purpose.

On other floors, however, we do use mother's PID on bottles she fills and saves for her baby who is at home while she is hospitalized and pumping to protect her supply.

We don't have a crematocrit and have quit dreaming of having one...
Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.