Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:16:34 +0100
Meg - this is how I/we get round this business of not being able to
offer medical info.

We say to the mother we are not qualified to give medical
information, but we can share with her some information that she in
turn 'might like to share with her doctor/midwife/health visitor'
whoever has given her the unhelpful stuff.

In some circumstances, I  also feel brave enough to say things like
'I'm afraid what your (HCP) has said may be unhelpful to you....would
you like me to send you/email you some references that give you
different options?'

I will also sometimes say, 'it's difficult for us to go against what
your doctor has told you, because as you know we are not qualified to
give medical advice, but........(and then I share other stuff with
her).

I think as long as the mother is aware of our limitations, it's fair
and ethical.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK