Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:22:24 EDT
I have emailed some of the sellers of lactinas and asked for the serial
number listed on the top.  Funny I have never gotten a response back.  For
these pumps to be fixed if ever broken they would need to be returned to
Medela.  I am sure that Medela would look up the serial number and confiscate
the pump if it had been reported stolen.  That poor mother would then be out
a pump, and her money.  I work in a very affluent area, and I have never had
someone pursue a purchase of a lactina when told what the cost would be.
There have been a few pumps however that were never returned to our rental
station in the past year alone. Maybe they are the one's for sale on ebay.
The bottom line I feel is that mothers should be obtaining pumps from someone
that can help them with the pump, instruct them on use and cleaning and help
them find the best one for their situation.  I too have had many mothers tell
me they could "never pump" and found they had been trying to use one of the
small electric/battery pumps.  If the single user pumps are governed by the
FDA, then how can they be resold on ebay?  Claudia