From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 05:30:21 -0600
Marie posted:
>Baby has a bizzar suckle--rotary, chomping and chewing, does not draw no
>rhythm.  I think the suckle is related to caloric deprivation.  Baby is highly
>disorganized.  Is very Hypotonic on the right side including the tongue,
>Overactive Perez sign (commonly called the fanny wiggle) on the left.  Same
>findings in the mouth.  Muscle tone is definitely better on the left.

This case sounds very odd, but the part I copied above set off alarm bells
in my head.  Has this baby had an MRI or cat-scan to look for brain damage?
Sounds like it could have had a stroke.  The stroke could be making it well
nigh impossible to feed, which leads to the FTT.  Prenatal strokes are
extremely rare, but not unheard of -- my 11 year old nephew had one, plus
another at 4 months following his second DPT shot.  Can you suggest this as
a possible diagnosis to the attending physician, and can the appropriate
tests be done?