From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 06:28:56 -0700
Karleen, I share your concern about this case!  I wonder if there is any way
to convince this mother to stay home with her baby and let someone else do
the traveling and picking up the other babies.  I have been faced with the
prospects of traveling to pick up one baby, while having another still
nursing.  In 1990, a group from our AF base, in Germany, traveled to
Romania, to find babies in orphanages to adopt.  I thought about going with
them, but Thomas was still nursing and there was no way I was going to leave
him and come back with another baby.  Taking him with me was out of the
question, since AIDS and Hep B were rampant over there, among other things.
So, even though, at the time, I thought my prospects for being able to adopt
anymore children were pretty slim, I had to decline.

When I went to Miami to pick up Joanna, in 1995, Joseph was 21 months old
and still nursing, and there was no way I was going to leave him for a week
and come back with another baby (Actually, I wouldn't have left him, even if
he had been bottle fed).  So, I trekked to Miami lugging a 30 pound toddler,
with my nine year old to help me make it back home with two babies.  It was
well worth the effort!  The two babies bonded quickly, tandem nursed for a
few months, and have always been very close.  I wonder if the mother in
question would consider the idea of the advantages of having these children
bond with each other, and avoiding anything that would tend to interfere
with that.  Taking it from a baby's point of view, I can't imagine the
trauma of having one's nursing mother suddenly leave and then come back with
another baby.  It would be kind of like having one's loving husband suddenly
disappear and return quite a while later, with a new wife!

Darillyn