From:
Sandra Steingraber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:45:08 -0400
of low milk supply  ("I have been amazed at the number of women who
have been
presenting the past few years with what I assess to be true milk supply
problems.....In my corner of the world, it sometimes
feels like milk supply problems are becoming epidemic. I do not consider
this all to be of entirely "natural origins," but of whatever origins that
are also causing the inexplicable rising rates of a host of other diseases
and ills as well."):

Exposure to toxic chemicals can interfere with lactogenesis and
should not be ruled out as a contributing factor in cases of poor
milk supply.   E.g.  in studies conducted in both North Carolina and
Mexico, women with the highest levels of  DDT in their breast milk
had "poorer lactation performance," and  weaned their infants sooner
than mothers whose pesticide levels were lower.  Similar findings
come from the Netherlands, where mothers with high levels of PCBs in
their breast milk had significantly lower volumes of milk during the
first three months of nursing.  Further supporting these data are
animal experiments showing that PCBS interfere with lactation.  The
most likely mechanism is endocrine disruption affecting prolactin
production, although no one knows for sure at this point.

Of course, there may be many other common toxic chemicals with the
ability to interfere with lactogenesis at background levels...but
toxicology screenings usually do not include lowered milk production
as an endpoint (as opposed to ability to cause cancer or birth
defects).

Another reason for lactation consultants to become environmental activists.

Sandra

references:   B.C. Gladen and W.J. Rogan, "DDE and Shortened Duration
of Lactation in a Northern Mexican Town," American Journal of Public
Health 85(1995): 504-08;  C.I. Lanting, "Environmental Exposure to
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) is Negatively Related to Human Milk
Output and Fat Content," in Lanting, Effects of Perinatal PCB and
Dioxin Exposure and Early Feeding Mode on Child Development, pp.
101-14; W.J. Rogan et al., "Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) and
Dichlorodiphenyl Dichloroethene (DDE) in Human Milk: Effects on
Growth, Morbidity, and Duration of Lactation," American Journal of
Public Health 77(1987): 1294-97; W.J. Rogan, "Pollutants in Breast
Milk," Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 150(1996):
981-90; Schettler, Generations at Risk, p. 205.
--
--

Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor