From:
Anne Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:43:27 -0700
The Lawerence Eagle Tribune, P.O. Box 100 Lawrence, Ma.
01842.

In the Lawrence Eagle Tribune-Lawrence,Ma:
-Headline- California allows moms to breast-feed anywhere-by Betsy Hart
     Score one for the breast-feeding Nazis.  They and their political
sisters have won a major victory.

To Whom It May Concern:

And it should concern us all. The use of the word "Nazi" to describe women
who feed their babies, by normal means,  in public, is frightening at best
and deeply offensive at worst. Ms. Hart is confused about what form of
infant feeding is akin to planned, meticulously carried out torture and
genocide of a class of people. In this case the class of people is infants.
The mothers who needed to have this bill signed into law are not a political
movement out to destroy an entire class of people. In fact they are trying
to save an entire generation. Can the same be said for their counterparts?
The formula companies? When it comes to calling one or the other Nazi's, the
formula companies more closely fit the definition.

 The hazards of infant formula, even just one, yes one, bottle of artificial
infant food, to the long-term and short-term health of both infants and
their mothers is well documented. Pick up any of a hundred medical journals
available, read the American Academy of Pediatrics' own statement on infant
feeding to begin to get a clue. Then watch a woman breastfeed. I see more
breast tissue in billboards advertising everything from trucks to men's
underwear for heaven's sake.  I suggest Ms. Hart take a walk through an art
gallery -- would she have a portrait of the Virgin Mary nursing Jesus
covered by a blanket or hung in the last stall of the women's restroom for
fear of "sexually harassing" the patrons of the museum? Michealangelo
attributed his great gift to the "mountain air and my nurse's milk" on which
he was raised.

To the people who say they are "offended" by the sight, I have to wonder
what offends them? Love between a mother and baby? Food being served in
public places? Or the possibility of glimpsing some breast tissue? Remember,
breastfeeding does not involve being completely topless and swinging tassels
from one's nipples. Breastfeeding is NOT a sexual function. Are the men in
question embarrassed because they find themselves drawn inappropriately to a
co-worker's breasts? How about the bathrooms, showers and dressing rooms of
most health clubs/pools, etc. more skin is exposed, rubbed and handled here
than anywhere. Should we ask someone to leave the healthclub shower because
their breast was exposed?  Do these same men feel sexually harassed in the
men's room everytime a co-worker uses a urinal and exposes his penis for one
of its intended purposes, the elimination of waste? No? Gee then why does an
infant using a body part for its intended purpose, feeding, get some people
so nervous?

Ms. Hart needs to rethink her use of the very ugly word, "nazism" and her
understanding of normal human infant feeding, health and nutrition before
she puts another word in print, and then it should be an apology to the
mothers and children of California and everywhere.

Sincerely,
Anne E. Robb, MAT
Mother to Publically "Best-Fed" Roberto and Nicholas

Anne E. Robb, MAT, LLLL
Off on a Tangent, Oregon, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]