From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:06:16 -0500
At 07:45 PM 3/7/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I would just like to point out that although female circumsion does occur in
>some muslim countries, it is 'not' endorsed in any way by Islam.  It is

I apologize- my babysitter's husband is from India, and he is the one who
told me it is indeed part of the religion for Moslems.  I had no reason to
doubt his claims, so I never checked it out for myself.

>for purely cultural reasons.  Male circumsion is mandatory in Islam, but
>there is no timing issue involved. Circumsion is frequently performed on
>boys as old as ten.  So it is relevent to discuss delaying it for some
people.

I would venture a guess that in the US and Canada, 'religious' circs on
male babies are done primarily as part of the Jewish faith.  And
overwhelmingly, circ done in both countries are for purely cultural reasons
as you assert female circumsision is.  Anyways, sorry to clutter the list
again with more on circ.  I don't know where we'd find any pedi's in the US
willing to perform circs for Islamic boys at ten years old though- at least
not in any way that would hinder breastfeeding. ;)

Tongue in Cheek....
Heidi Murphy
Peer Counselor, BSN Student