From:
Cindy Neary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:03:03 EDT
     I had two thoughts about the comments regarding Asian and Native American
babies have higher baseline bilirubins:  1) in our area some of our Asian
mom's are really reluctant to breastfeed exclusively until their milk comes
in. Could inadequate supply due to ineffective or infreq feeds be an issue on
day 3-4 that contributes to high bili levels?
2) Just because asian/AI babies may run higher baselines does that mean they
tolerate higher levels any better than caucasian infants?  Someone commented
earlier that there was also a higher incidence of kernicterus on autopsy.

Cindy Neary RN