From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 17:43:10 -0500
No, you can not really count on the bowel movements when mom is
supplementing with formula. The new formulas with lipils make the baby
poop a lot the first few weeks. Then the BMs tend to get less with this
formula. I have seen even 1-2 small bottles of formula per day make lots
of poop so everyone thinks baby is nursing well. But when you weigh the
baby, the weight is bad, and when you do test weights the intake is poor.

The newer formulas and how much formula is given in the hospital is a
huge problem and we can no longer count BMs with such massive
supplementation as we see.

If mom is only supplementing with expressed breast milk, you can still
count the BMs but of course, you can't judge the nursing by the BMs with
any kind of supplementation.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC