From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:09:08 PST
Dear Carol B and Lactnetters:

Don't be intimidated by the term "Marketing."  Think of it more as
advocating for moms and babies.

With the release of the AAP's statement, we have an ideal time to get
back into advocating.  Here is all the endorsement you need -- the AAP
covers it all!  LC services, Pumps (as medically needed), support
groups, etc.

<insurance companies are waiting for more statistical evidence. they
won't go for any kind of policy change based on what they perceive to be
anecdotal evidence.>

True, but PATIENT SATISFACTION is important as well (for hospitals and
health care providers, too).

Anecdotes are data.  As you counsel moms, create space in your log to
cost out your services.  If you are a private-practice LC, I should
think you're already tracking this data (since this is your income).
Are you doing follow-up with these moms?  If your counseling
intervention helped this mom to bf longer and/or more exclusively, then
you have helped that client move towards acheiving optimal health
behaviors.  Document this!  Your service has just helped this client
reduce risk.  And the more data you collect, the better you will be able
to generate "statistics."

In my experience, sometimes it is one good contact in the right place to
make things happen.  If you're not doing it already, start now, in the
holiday season, talking your work with breastfeeding at all of those
cocktail parties, etc. Become a 'voice' for the issue (but don't ram it
down people's throats, either). You might catch the ear of someone who
can help you make a connection.  You might also get more calls to your
practice or institution.  You might sow the seeds for a corporate
program.  You are giving a voice and a face to the issue, and a contact
for further development and advocacy.  Also, every mom who you help to
acheive her version of breastfeeding success will become your ally.  Get
them to help you -- the lawyers, wives of corporate execs, etc.

Yup, this is all 'marketing.'  Actually, it sounds kinda fun!

So,
1)  Collect and compile that data
2)  Keep a file of useful contacts and success stories
3)  Write letters to the editor of your newspapers
4)  Offer to write columns to the magazines of health insurers in your
area.
5)  Keep in mind the earlier (wonderful) post about the Hershey Kiss bf
present (you may only need to send 4 kisses to that Director of Human
Resources, so it wouldn't cost too much money).
6)  Maintain and build your visibility as a competent voice for
breastfeeding and advocate for moms and babies.
7)  If you're an IBCLC, get involved with Third Party Reimbursement
issues with ILCA.

Good Luck!
Doraine Bailey, MA
ILCA WBW Coordinator
(Who's holiday wish list is that everyone who reads this post starts to
collect data and email it to me so I can use it to help promote
breastfeeding through World Breastfeeding Week).