From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:31:29 -0400
This is just a moment of sharing about what happens when breastfeeding values come up against the rest of the world.

My husband and I have been away for three weeks on vacation.  At the end of the second week, his father passed away (peacefully -- no expressions of sympathy needed) and there was a gathering of the clans, including a bunch of fairly close family that we haven't seen in ages because of distance.  At dinner one evening we got into a discussion about ethical investment.  One of the large coffee chains was noted as an example because of both practices and not using free trade sources for beans.  Naturally I mentioned Nestle and explained about marketing formula in Third World countries.  (Forget developed countries, I knew that wouldn't fly).

They didn't get it.

I explained about illiteracy, low income, lack of clean water, etc.  My husband (bless his heart) talked about undermining breastfeeding.  We both cited mortality and morbidity.

The didn't get it.

"All those people have to do is say 'no'"

My sister-in-law's husband thought the marketing was fine and really good business practice.  Any consequences were the people's own stupidity.  Being retired, I wonder how he would have thought about the scam's that get elderly people to sign cheques to pay for an (unneeded) new roof?  They too could just say "no". Unfortunately I didn't think of that analogy until much later.

They just didn't get it.  The concept of being responsible for the outcome of the marketing, beyond the bottom line, was a foreign concept.  The social responsibility to have some care for those less advantaged was also a foreign concept. My husband is embarrassed to be related to these people.

This list represents an audience that understands just how shocked I was.  Sometimes I forget that this is how the rest of the world thinks. Thanks for listening.

Judith

Judith A. Hayman, RN, BSc, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse, Lactation Consultant
Caledonia, ON