From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:48:01 -0500
I would suggest a "baby moon" over the weekend where she rests in bed a
lot with baby and co-bathes, etc. Lots of skin to skin. From the oral
motor information I have, many babies who are refusing solids at this
late date may have oral motor issues. I know of a baby this old that
could put the food in the mouth but not swallow until he had SLP therapy
and was then swallowing by 12 months. I would suggest mom nurse the
baby, and then offer smashed, ripe banana or avocado, or cooked sweet
potato. Fresh food, not the jar baby food as fresh tastes better. Or
maybe slightly mashed meat. I would make it a game, maybe just use
finger foods while baby sits in a high chair and feeds herself. No high
pressure but really watch at how and why baby refuses solids. Baby may
be refusing to have a spoon shoved into her mouth. She might feed
herself instead. I have three kids and one had to feed himself from
about 8 months or would not eat. Maybe baby can "chew" it but not
swallow it. I would also have baby weighed in just a diaper and see if
weight is okay and appropriate from birth. I think sometimes we women
get so upset and it just ratchets up everyone's stress level in the
family and then the sensitive babies get really freaked out. Our high
stress or emotional upset makes us focus on ourselves and our emotions
and we stop focusing on the baby, feeding regularly as before, or doing
"normal" things. This creates the nursing problem rather than the stress
lowering milk supply. We can't let go and let down.
Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC