From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:15:26 -0500
Can someone please help me understand the new research a little more
clearly?  I just finished a review of Team Australia's research and also my
notes from several of their lectures I attended.

Notes from the Symphony CD:

-There is a progressive increase in the milk fat as milk is removed from the
breast, and a decrease in milk fat from   the end of one feeding to the
beginning of the next.  There is no cutoff point where foremilk can be
distinguished from hindmilk.  Hindmilk can have a lower fat content than
foremilk at certain times of the day (when the breast is more
well-drained?).  There is an important correlation between degree of breast
fullness and fat content (fuller breasts=lower fat).

Notes from Jackie Kent's presentation of Donna Ramsay Geddes' research:

- Fat content is higher when the breast is well drained.  It's not the
volume, but the change in cream content that indicates how well-drained the
breast is.  Fat decreases with subsequent milk releases because lower fat
milk from higher up in the breast is mixing with milk in the front.

Hartmann's research on rate of milk synthesis used measurements of fat
immediately before and after feeding and correlated that to his measures of
breast fullness and previous 24 hour records of pre- and post-feed weight
checks.

My confusion is the finding that milk fat content can be lower at the end of
the feeding.  I understand that composite fat is more important in the
larger picture.  But this conflicts with Meier's research on hind milk
feedings etc.

Can someone please clarify this for me or am I just reading the research
wrong?

Linda Anderegg, BSN, RNC, IBCLC in Chicago