From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:38:36 EST
In a message dated 3/25/04 2:10:17 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> However, I also strongly
> encourage those mothers NOT to fall asleep while nursing in bed because of
> the dangers involved (overlay, falling off the bed, overheat, entrapment
> between headboard and mattress).  I must also say that I NEVER slept with
> my baby in bed and my baby NEVER slept on a bed.  Parents and babies
> should be close, but adult beds were not made with infant safety in mind.

Dear Friends:
      There are suggestions and guidelines for safe bed-sharing from the AAP,
from James McKenna.
      As sleepiness is a sign of let-down, we want to beware of making
mothers feel terrible for falling asleep while nursing. Helen Ball, in her  recent
lovely article in Birth on bedsharing and breastfeeding pointed out that
campaigns against bedsharing will work against breastfeeding promotion.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee, on the road teaching